Head of Department
4 or more grades 4-9.
Additional entry requirement: Grade 4+ in a science subject.
- Coursework = 50%
- Exam = 50%
Health & Social Care
Level 3 Vocational – Available as equivalent to 1 or 2 A Levels
If you have an interest in health, early years care, education and social care, then this course is perfect for you. Students will develop the underpinning knowledge as well as practical and personal skills required to work in this sector. They learn how to deliver person-centred care and support to meet the needs of a variety of service users.
What skills will I develop?
This course will allow students to build the skills to offer specific, person-centred care and support and build positive relationships with the people they are working with, so that their needs and requirements are met whilst they maintain control of their own care and support.
These skills include:
- communication and relationship building skills
- the ability to recognise both good practice, and discriminatory practice in care situations
- judgement and decision making skills
- learn how to respond to different incidents and emergencies within health and social care settings
What topics will I study?
This course is available as both an Extended Certificate (equivalent to 1 A Level) and a Diploma (equivalent to 2 A Levels). Core topics for both options inlcude:
- Building Positive Relationships in Health and Social Care
- Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health and Social Care
- Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care
- Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care
Those studying or the Diploma will also be required to study the following core topics:
- Infection Control
- Personalisation and a Person-Centred Approach to Care
Where does the course lead?
Career opportunities include nursing, paramedic science, social work, teaching and care-related professions. Alternatively, it can lead towards a degree in a subject related to Health & Social Care.